Wednesday, September 2, 2009

The New Black... "Layaway" (Or at least a way to stay in the black!)


Have you ever used a store layaway plan? I remember seeing my mom do it several times when I was growing up and I personally put a pair of pin-striped, "ultra-cool" shorts on layaway once when I was in high school. Honestly, I haven't used a layaway plan since that time, but I am considering it.
The basic idea with "layaway" is simply making payments for something, interest free before you actually receive the item… the opposite of a credit card. The idea of delayed gratification that we try to teach our kids is coming back around to us. The layaway plan has had a revival of sorts because credit and cash are both hard to come by. A few stores which have a layaway plan are Kmart, TJMaxx, Marshalls, and Burlington Coat Factory. (Wal-Mart execs are most likely kicking themselves for doing away with their layaway plan a couple of years ago.)

Tracy from Rocky Mount used layaway this past Christmas and she said she also used it to buy school supplies this year.

Do you think you’ll use layaway this Christmas?

No comments:

Post a Comment