Tuesday, August 4, 2009

A Late Bloomer...


I received two flowers on Mother's Day, one beautiful blooming pansy from church and a mystery plant in a Styrofoam cup from my four-year-old, Micah. I had a very large flower pot, so I decided to place the two together in the pot on the back deck. Micah's plant had a marked disadvantage. He had grown it from seed at preschool and it had a bite on one of its leaves from an earwig that had made its home inside the Styrofoam cup.

As time went on the fuchsia pansy continued to bloom generously, while Micah's plant simply grew straight up... and UP! I was convinced that since Micah had planted it from seed, perhaps the bug had really eaten the flower and I was left with one mighty tall weed!

God gives us so many surprises in life. Oftentimes those annoyances in my day, such as a red light at just the wrong time, provide the best opportunities for my character to be shaped. On a larger scale, a side trip in our family's life plan for "ministry" has created more opportunities to "do ministry" along the way. When I am waiting on God I get impatient because I want God to do something logical. Instead God wants me to wait. I can often mistake what God is working on for a weed (a sidetracking inconvenience.)

As you can see, this week God finally bloomed that "weed" as it appeared to me since Mother's Day. Sometimes it takes patience to see the amazing plans God has for us! (Jeremiah 29:11)

1 comment:

  1. Loved this! Brittney, thanks for stopping by my blog and giving me words of encouragement! Glad you enjoyed the She Speaks conference, weren't the ladies so warm and sweet? Great group.

    ReplyDelete