Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Decluttering- Inside and Out


I love the idea of decluttering, it's the execution that's another thing... A quick scan of my bookshelf and you'll find titles like Clean Sweep: Conquer the Clutter and The Learning Annex Presents: Uncluttering Your Space. I desire to have a simple, clutter-free home, but if you were to take a look in my closets you'd know that it's more of a concept that is celebrated rather than lived.

The same can be true in my or "our" (I hope I'm not alone in this!) spiritual lives. The first chapter of James talks about people who read the Book, but don't live what they read in the Scriptures:

James 1:22 "Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. 23Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like a man who looks at his face in a mirror 24and, after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like. 25But the man who looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues to do this, not forgetting what he has heard, but doing it—he will be blessed in what he does."

It's easy to read the Bible or go to church and shout an "Amen", but living out what it says is a different thing. Kind of like keeping 17 pairs of shoes lined up straight...


No comments:

Post a Comment