Monday, March 2, 2009

Fearless?!

www.faqs.org/health/images/uchr_05_img0494.jpg

If you could get rid of your most debilitating fear by simply taking a pill, would you do it?

"Researchers in Europe say that a pill could help millions of people who suffer from post-traumatic stress or from phobias. The pill is a beta-blocker designed to regulate blood pressure, but researchers found that it might also block out bad memories."

I can see how the pill could do wonders to help soldiers who are struggling with post-war flashbacks and extreme fears that keep people from leaving their homes. I also personally have serious questions about something that sounds so mind-altering. What about situations where God can use our fears as a spiritual testing ground to see if we will trust him "even then..." (in a small dark space, with what happened to me as a child, with my fear of crowds, etc.)

I firmly believe in Phillippians 4:13 "I can do everything through Him who gives me strength", yet I am afraid of heights. I remember going to the observation deck at the John Hancock building in Chicago while I was in college. There are wonderful floor-to-ceiling windows to take in the beautiful cityscape of buildings and lightening bug-like cars. At waist-height there is a railing in front of the windows that you can hold and benches to sit on. Instead of relaxing along the railing, I spent most of my time in the centrally-located gift shop. For some reason all those windows made me feel like I was going to fall out of the building and the railing didn't comfort me a bit. The room-like gift shop kiosk felt safer, even though it was just a few feet away.

How do I mesh the two, God's power and my fear? What about you, would you take a pill to get past a life-altering event or overcome a phobia? Where do you see God fitting into all of this? Share your comments!

Read more about this drug at: http://www.wral.com/lifestyles/healthteam/story/4631522/

1 comment:

  1. I think that fear can be both good and bad. But when fear rules our lives, then it is bad. God can calm our fears and make us bold. I think He is the "pill" I should take!

    ReplyDelete