Friday, April 17, 2009

Brittney's Picks for 2009 Dove Awards!



2009 GMA Dove Award Nominees

SONG OF THE YEAR song title; writer; publisher (Dove Award given to the songwriter and publisher)

“Amazing Grace (My Chains Are Gone)”; Chris Tomlin, Louie Giglio, Traditional; sixsteps music (ASCAP), worshiptogether.com Songs (ASCAP)

“Cinderella”; Steven Curtis Chapman; Sparrow Songs (BMI)

“Empty Me”; Chris Sligh, Clint Lagerberg, Tony Wood; Foolish Tool Music (ASCAP), Word Music LLC (ASCAP), Kindacrazy Music (BMI), Row J Seat 9 Songs (ASCAP), New Spring Publishing (ASCAP), Bridge Building Music (BMI)

“Give Me Your Eyes”; Brandon Heath, Jason Ingram; Sitka 6 Music (ASCAP), Peertunes Ltd. (SESAC), Grange Hill Music (SESAC), Windsor Way (SESAC)

“I Will Not Be Moved”; Natalie Grant; Nat in the Hat (ASCAP)

“I’m Letting Go”; Francesca Battistelli, Tony Wood, Ian Eskelin; Designer Music (SESAC), Word Music LLC (ASCAP), Honest & Popular Songs (SESAC), Row J Seat 9 Songs (ASCAP), New Spring Publishing Inc. (ASCAP)

“Mighty to Save”; Ben Fielding, Joel Houston; Integrity’s Hosanna! Music (ASCAP)

“Never Going Back to OK”; Matt Fuqua, Josh Havens, Brad Wigg, Dan Muckala; Smells Like Music (ASCAP), Screaming Mimes Music (ASCAP)

“Reason Enough”; Ernie Haase, Wayne Haun, Joel Lindsey; Bridge Building Music (BMI),
Psalmsinger Music (BMI), Ernie Sig Sound Music (BMI), Hefton Hill Music (BMI)

“You Reign”; Bart Millard, Barry Graul, Steven Curtis Chapman; Simpleville Music (ASCAP), Wet As A Fish Music (ASCAP), Sparrow Songs (BMI)

This is a tough choice. I'm torn between three songs that really got people's attention: "I Will Not Be Moved", "Give Me Your Eyes" and "I'm Letting Go." Natalie's song is the soccer mom anthem that I love to belt out whenever I know I won't completely embarrass myself. Francesca's song rocks because it's style is unique and she has such a great, strong voice. Since she's new, I'm going to save my pick for "New Artist of the Year." "Give Me Your Eyes" thought-provoking, timely, and it sticks in your head and can't get it out. My pick for "Song of the Year!"


ARTIST OF THE YEAR
Casting Crowns
Steven Curtis Chapman
Fireflight
Marvin Sapp
Third Day
tobyMac
Chris Tomlin

Because of Steven Curtis Chapman's endurance and testimony through the death of his daughter Maria I think this award will be given as a tribute to him. Based solely on the "artist," that's a tie between Casting Crowns and Third Day in my book.

NEW ARTIST OF THE YEAR
Addison Road
Francesca Battistelli
Fee
Jonathan Nelson
Remedy Drive
Chris Sligh
Tenth Avenue North

Hands down it's got to be Francesca! She has a unique sound that's completely unlike any female artist on the radio. She grew up on jazz and it's apparent in her music. Two songs on the charts and she's a real winner. I'm a big fan of the underdog- so my underdog favorite is Chris Sligh. If Susan Boyle can do it- he can too! What a great voice he has. I love the song, "Empty Me."


MALE VOCALIST OF THE YEAR
Jeremy Camp
Jon Foreman
Ernie Haase
Brandon Heath
David Phelps
Marvin Sapp
Chris Tomlin

Are we talking best voice? David Phelps. Are we talking most popular? Chris Tomlin. So I'm going out on a limb with Jeremy Camp for a completely illogical reason- I like his style of voice, his fan approachability through his website, and his music best.


FEMALE VOCALIST OF THE YEAR
Francesca Battistelli
Brooke Fraser
Karen Peck Gooch
Natalie Grant
Mandisa
Sandi Patty
Laura Story

Can I just say I'm sooo glad to see Sandi Patty back on this list- It's been a long time. No one can deny she has a great voice, kind of like David Phelps in the Male Vocalist of the Year category. I'm going to give Brooke and Francesca a couple of years. Tired of Natalie Grant. So my pick is Mandisa. Great voice, she picks music she can sing well and hangs with cool people like tobyMac. Can't go wrong!

GROUP OF THE YEAR
Casting Crowns
David Crowder*Band
Ernie Haase & Signature Sound
Mary Mary
MercyMe
Skillet
Third Day

Two new radio singles and the cover of Billboard Magazine... not a bad year for Third Day. Love it! My personal favorite of the groups listed is Casting Crowns, but since their album "The Altar and the Door" came out back in 2007 I'm thinking Third Day has this one wrapped up. If this were an award for "Best In-Your-Face, Sin-Confronting, Marriage-Saving Band" (Fireproof's "Slow Fade") the award would definitely go to deep thinkers Casting Crowns.


Hope you enjoyed my picks and predictions. I'd love to find out yours. Feel free to leave your comments. Enjoy your weekend and thanks for listening to the "Drive Home!" By the way, don't forget to vote for "Artist of the Year" and "New Artist of the Year" at http://www.doveawards.com/doveawards/.

1 comment:

  1. My picks are:
    Song of the Year: Mighty to Save.
    Artist of the Year: Yeah, SCC will probably win.
    New Artist of the Year: Tenth Avenue North - Unique sounding group
    Male Vocalist: Chris Tomlin
    Female Vocalist: Laura Story - Not an amazing voice, but great songs!
    Group Of the Year: Casting Crowns all the way!
    Those are my picks and I'm sticking to them!

    ReplyDelete