Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Rotten Food, Rotten Faith



Even the toffee-like candy coating couldn’t cover the bitter flavor. Those special Praline Pecans in the Christmas Cranberry tin… A year ago we’d gone on vacation to Florida and tried these wonderful tourist-y pecans. We found out the brand name, then purchased a couple of tins through an online super sale… the Christmas leftovers. So these highly prized clearance pecans did time in our freezer for a few months, and we nibbled on a couple dozen nuts while they sat in their special tucked away spot. Rotten nuts never eaten… just waiting for that “special occasion.”


I couldn’t help but think (while I pondered whether or not to throw away the nuts) how that Christmas Cranberry container is similar to my faith. Those tracts that sit on my dresser just waiting for the “right occasion” to share my faith... Those days I’ve avoided a friend who needs Jesus because I’m afraid she’ll try to convert me to her belief system... I feel challenged somehow. What am I waiting for? My faith is sitting up there rotting on the freezer while people need to hear the hope of Christ!


What about you? What is God teaching you today? I'd love to hear your story. Feel free to share it below.

1 comment: